paris street style
while new york street style provides a window into trends that are just hitting the commercial masses, paris street style seems to hint towards ideas that might still be a bit down the road. i’m feeling particularly inspired by what people have been wearing the last week. here are 6 trends i’m loving.
1. dresses over pants. if you’re anything like me, you haven’t touched most of the dresses in your closet in 12 months. dresses have felt fussy recently, but seeing these styled over pants gives my dress collection a whole new identity.
2. 80s redux. while isabel marant has been taking us there the last few seasons, i’m finally on board with exaggerated shoulders, houndstooth blazers, and white leather.
3. newsboy caps. i’m not going to be pulling this off anytime soon, but i’m also not going to argue with kate moss. the image below kate is also particularly noteworthy - it feels like a distinct next step for urban bohemia.
4. dior is the new gucci. since alessandro michele continues to do no wrong in my book, it almost feels blasphemous to say. but it would be remiss to ignore maria grazia chiuri’s sporty logos and sheer, feminine embroidery. if valentino did sportswear, is this what it would look like?
5. dries van noten outerwear. while certainly a tribute to dries van noten’s 100th show, i’m still loving the way these insanely gorgeous prints can make the most utilitarian outfit feel new and exciting.
6. belt it. i briefly worked for a vintage stylist who’s motto was “put a belt on it,” and when my time with her came to an end, i swore i’d never wear a belt again. let this serve as a reminder to never say never to trends we’d like to bury for good.
all photos by phil oh for vogue.com